St Davids Bishop's Palace
This imposing medieval palace stands in a grassy hollow next to purple-stoned St Davids Cathedral. Even in ruins, the palace - unequalled anywhere else in Wales - still conveys the affluence and power of the medieval church. It is largely the work of the energetic Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47).
No expense was spared in creating a grand residence fit for a major figure of both Church and State. De Gowers palace boasted two complete sets of state rooms ranged around a courtyard, one for his own use, the other for ceremonial entertainment.
The palace is richly embellished throughout with lavish stone carvings. Particularly fine are its arcaded parapets - de Gowers trademark - decorated with chequered stonework.
Adult - £3.50
Concession - £2.65 = Children under 16, Senior citizen and students with ID cards.
Family - £10.50 = 2 Adults and all children under 16.
Open all the time
Closed on 24, 25 and 26 December and 1 January.
Last admission to this site is thirty minutes before closing.
1st March - 30th June / 1st Sept - 31st October: 9:30am -5 pm
1st July - 31st August: 9:30am - 6 pm
1st November - 28th February: 10 am - 4pm / Sun 11 am - 4pm