Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Historic House item typeOld Beaupre Castle (Cadw)

  • Cadw Welsh Government

Historic House, free entry

Old Beaupre Castle

Old Beaupre Castle

Details

Although called Old Beaupre Castle the structure is seen as a fortified manor house. The original house was an L-shaped building, now located within the inner courtyard, built circa 1300 and from this period until the 18th century it was owned by the Basset family. During the 16th century intensive remodeling was undertaken, started by Sir Rice Mansel, continued by William Basset and completed by William's son, Richard. This additional work added the impressive outer gatehouse, completed in 1586 and a storyed Renaissance porch, completed 1600, along with the buildings around the middle court.

Beaupre Castle has few outwardly looking windows and appears like a series of fortified barns. The main entrance is via the gatehouse reached via a low-walled outer courtyard. The gatehouse is a three- story structure surrounded by a curtain wall. The inner porch stands out from the rest of the courtyard with smooth ashlar stonework in comparison to the rough local stonework surrounding it. The porch, designed by Richard Twrch, consists of varying architectural styles including a Tudor arch, strapwork decoration and three tiers of flanked columns. The columns rise in ascending order from Doric to Ionic to Corinthian and the second tier bears the Basset family heraldic set on panels.

After the 16th century alterations little work was carried out on Beaupre, and after the English Civil War the Basset family fortunes went into decline and in the early 18th century the Basset inheritance eventually passed to the Jones family. The Jones family decided not to settle in Beaupre Castle and chose to use the mansion of New Beaupre.

Regional Tourist Board Member

Children welcomeDogs not accepted (except guidedogs)Smoking not allowed

Opening Details

Open all the time

Open daily 10.00am - 4.00pm. Closed 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing

Prices

Free entry

Contact

Enquiries

Address

St Hilary,
Vale of Glamorgan,
CF71 7LT

Location

Directions

Plan route to Old Beaupre Castle (Cadw) using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: ST 009721  Lat: 51.43925 Long: -3.42606

M4 Junction 35 & A473 signed for Bridgend; A48 (signed for Port Talbot), B4265 (signed for Llantwit Major) to Ewenny, right onto the B4524 signed for Ogmore Castle and right at Ogmore.

Parking: free

Accessible by Public Transport: 3 miles from Llantwit Major station

Facilities

  • Regional Tourist Board MemberRegional Tourist Board Member
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
  • Smoking not allowedSmoking not allowed