Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Town item typeMenai Bridge

Town

Menai Bridge

Menai Bridge

Details

The town of Menai Bridge stands on the banks of the Menai Strait on the Anglesey end of the Menai Suspension Bridge, built in 1826 by Thomas Telford. The World’s first iron suspension bridge, it is 1,265 feet/305m long, with a central span of 579 feet/177m with its roadway set 98m/30m above the water to allow tall ships to sail beneath.

A short walk from Menai Bridge town centre brings the visitor to the base of the Menai Suspension Bridge, from where the true scale of this remarkable structure is best appreciated. The Belgium Promenade (built by Flemish refugees from the Great War between 1914-16) leads south west from here shortly reaching a causeway that links Church island and the ancient Church of St Tysilio to the shore. A short walk around the church cemetery affords wonderful views of the Menai Strait, both bridges and Ynys Gorad Goch island, whose residents once made a living from the fish caught at the traps built there.

Menai bridge has a selection of interesting shops, including antiques, books and ironmongers. There is a good collection of pubs and restaurants catering for all tastes, including local seafood.

Contact

Caernarfon Tourist Information Centre

Address

Menai Bridge,
Isle of Anglesey,
LL59 5DF

Location

Directions

Plan route to Menai Bridge using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: SH 557720  Lat: 53.22577 Long: -4.16300

A55 Junction 8A & A5.

Parking: with charge

Accessible by Public Transport: 2.5 miles from Bangor station