Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Village item typePentraeth

Village

Pentraeth

Pentraeth

Details

Pentraeth is a village on the east side of the Isle of Anglesey located south of Benllech and north of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. Its name means at the end of (or head of) a beach, and it is located near Traeth Coch (Red Wharf Bay).

The village's ancient name was Llanfair Betws Geraint. In 1170 it was the site of a battle when Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd landed with an army raised in Ireland in an attempt to claim a share of the kingdom of Gwynedd following the death of his father Owain Gwynedd. He was defeated and killed here by the forces of his half-brothers Dafydd ab Owain Gwynedd and Rhodri.

St Mary's is the village church and although the date of construction is unknown, it is probably from some time between the 12th to 14th centuries. Some medieval stonework remains in three walls of the building. A chapel was added to the south side in the 16th or 17th century, and the church was altered and refurbished during the 19th century. The church is still in use, as part of the Church in Wales.

Contact

Caernarfon Tourist Information Centre

Address

Pentraeth,
Isle of Anglesey,
LL75 8AZ

Location

Directions

Plan route to Pentraeth using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: SH 523784  Lat: 53.28206 Long: -4.21627

A55 Junction 8 and take the A5025 Benllech road. Pentraeth is at the junction with the B5109, 3 miles south of Benllech.

Accessible by Public Transport: 6 miles from Llanfairpwll station