Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Village item typePenrhyndeudraeth

Village

Portmeirion

Portmeirion

Details

Penrhyndeudraeth is a village located near the coast east of Porthmadog and north-east of Harlech; it has a population of 2,150.

The present village was laid out in the second half of the 19th century by a local landowner on land reclaimed by the drainage of marshes. Its name relates to its location prior to this land reclamation - Penrhyndeudraeth translates as 'peninsula with two beaches' located between Traeth Mawr, the now largely reclaimed estuary of the Afon Glaslyn, and Traeth Bach on the estuary of the Afon Dwyryd. This and other reclamation projects in the area together with the building of the Ffestiniog Railway, spurred economic growth.

To the south-west of Penrhyndeudraeth is the Italianate village of Portmeirion, created by the architect Clough Williams-Ellis from 1925 to 1976. He wanted to show how a naturally beautiful site could be developed without spoiling it. He hoped the village would make people to think about buildings in the landscape. The village was built as a place people could enjoy for its own sake. It was supposed to be a place where events, concerts and exhibitions could take place and is still well known as the filming location for the 1960s TV series The Prisoner.



.

Contact

Porthmadog Tourist Information Centre

Address

Penrhyndeudraeth,
Gwyndd,
LL48 6LW

Location

Directions

Plan route to Penrhyndeudraeth using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: SH 612389  Lat: 52.92968 Long: -4.06631

Penrhyndeudraeth is on the A487 east of Porthmadog.

Parking: free

Accessible by Public Transport: 0 miles from Penrhyndeudraeth station