Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Town item typeTreharris

Town

Details

Treharris is in the Taff Bargoed valley to the south of Merthyr Tydfil and north of Pontypridd; together with the neighbouring villages of Quakers Yard and Edwardsville, the community has a population of 6,250. The town was named after F. W. Harris and his Harris Navigation Steam Coal Company which begun coal mining excavations in 1878; the Deep Navigation shafts were the deepest at the time in South Wales with the some shafts sunk to a depth of 700 metres. Ownership of the colliery transferred to the Ocean Coal Co. Ltd. in 1893 - so called because the pit supplied the coal for the transatlantic ocean liners, including the Cunard Line. The pit became remained in production until 1991.

During the early 21st century, like many ex-mining communities in the area, Treharris underwent significant regeneration to the town centre and the land where Deep Navigation was situated has been landscaped. The Welsh International Climbing Centre, an indoor climbing centre and caving complex, is built on the site of the former nearby Trelewis drift mine and is an integral part of the Millennium park complex.

Trehrris is served by Quakers Yard railway station which is on the line from Cardiff Central to Merthyr Tydfil.

Contact

Enquiries

Address

Merthyr Tydfil,
Wales

Location

Directions

Plan route to Treharris using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: SO 047064  Lat: 51.74855 Long: -3.38156

M4/A470 and the A4054.

Accessible by Public Transport: 1 mile from Quakers Yard station