Refine your search

Type of Venue






Or Venue Name




LL58 8SN



Penmon is a promontory, village and ecclesiastical parish on the south-east tip of the Isle of Anglesey, about 3 miles (4.8 km) east of the town of Beaumaris.

The name comes from Welsh: pen (which can mean "head", "end" or "promontory") and Môn, which is the Welsh word for Anglesey. It is the site of an historic monastery and associated 12th-century church. Walls near the well next to the church may be part of the oldest remaining Christian building in Wales. Quarries in Penmon have provided stone for many important buildings and structures, including Birmingham Town Hall and the two bridges that cross the Menai Strait. The area is popular with locals and visitors alike for its monuments, tranquillity, bracing air and fine views of Snowdonia to the south across the Menai Strait.

In 1748, Lewis Morris made a hydrographic survey of the coast of Wales and suggested that the tower of the ruined church on the island be converted into a lighthouse. However, this suggestion was not implemented. On 17 August 1831, The Rothesay Castle, a wooden-hulled paddle steamer on a day trip from Liverpool, sank in very heavy seas. Of more than 140 on board, only 23 people survived. Afterwards, the Trwyn Du Lighthouse and a lifeboat station were built to try to prevent similar tragedies. The lifeboat station was closed in 1915 as it had been superseded by a lifeboat at Beaumaris. In its years of operation, the Penmon lifeboats saved at least 143 lives.


Caernarfon Tourist Information Centre


LL58 8SN


Plan route to Penmon using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: SH 629805  Lat: 53.30430 Long: -4.05887

B5109 north from Beaumaris; turn right where signed to Penmon.

Accessible by Public Transport: 10 miles from Bangor station